Friday 14 August 2009

Inauguration Day

Wow.

Today of all days, I want to be more eloquent than that. I should be more eloquent than that.

But, wow.

What a day. What a privilege. What a moment.

I never dreamed I could feel like this... I'm going to erupt into song if I'm not careful.

I have to pinch myself every day to check I am not dreaming. But even my overactive imagination could not have conjured this up. Chief of Staff to the First Lady. What a moment in history. And I get to be a part of it. I even get to claim to have, in some small way, helped make it happen.

I certainly can claim credit for keeping the man who made it happen sane and alive. Health and vitality is what I prayed for him years ago, on the night he was shot. It seems God has given him so much more. And given me so much. Ten weeks in, I can't believe I still get to wake up next to him. I'm calm, collected outwardly, and I'm so happy and serene and that shines through, but inside I don't think even he can guess what's going on. A million butterflies. I'm, what's the phrase, walking on sunshine. I'm with him on one thing - well on many, but anyway - "this is what your first smack high must feel like". One hell of a high though!

It's a whole new era. Saint Exupéry said, "L'amour, ce n'est pas se regarder dans les yeux, c'est regarder ensemble dans la meme direction." I believe that's the key to how we made it. (That and my tireless patience!) And that's the key to how we will make it, despite the stress, the sleepless nights, the Amy Gardners, and who knows what else awaits us.

It's also the key to how together we can help make this greater nation greater. President and Mrs Santos, God bless you. God bless America.

And God bless this beautiful man sleeping by my side. Keep us safe, keep us together. Together fighting for this cause. Could there be a more beautiful dream?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Yeah..translate the French for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as your next line is not "it's crap, but you're really cute...!"!!

    "Love is not gazing into each other's eyes, but fixing our eyes on the same thing, together" - sounds much more elegant in Frenc though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx.. I'm a bit slow getting back to things..I was re-reading the entries...and found your translation. I think it's beautiful!!! AND since I don't know Frenc..I can't say if it's more elegant in one language than another.. If the right person is saying it, I imagine it is "ELEGANT" in any language!

    ReplyDelete