Tuesday 1 December 2009

Mission Accomplished

Well, I did.

I did have a good teacher.

And not just in politics. I’m getting better at those one-line put-downs. Delivered with a smile, but chilling for the other guy. Is it wrong that I'm kind of proud of that? Proud of my own imperviousness, my own resilience?

And man, am I proud of myself for being able, for finding it in myself, to do that to Josh.

Because it means – it must mean, mustn't it? – that I’m finally moving on.

I left to find myself.

Mission accomplished.

I left to find out who I was apart from him. To see whether I could learn, could grow, could be more, do more.

To see, too, whether I would ever be able to prise my heart back from him.

Mission accomplished.

I just wish there wasn’t a tiny part of me that was so ashamed for finding it in myself to do that to Josh.

4 comments:

  1. Still loving it. The part about having a good teacher got me thinking. Do you know the part when she tells Josh she had a good teacher and he replies with thank you and she said she didn't mean him? Do you think she meant Will or do you think she really did mean Josh?

    Keep up the good work, I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy!! Your comments keep me going :) That's an interesting point, I'll ponder it and get back to you! I think maybe she did mean Josh, but she wanted to prove to herself, and to him, that she wasn't indebted to him, that there were other important people in her life. Or something. I guess that's kind of what I've tried to get at with this entry - it was her way of saying "you see - I'm free!" Just rewatching series 7 though and it would appear she's not so free after all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps do you know about my other fanfic, at www.morewestwing.blogspot.com? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an excellent writer! But I'm glad she had the decency to at least be ashamed of slapping Josh in the face for no good reason like that. I think she hurt him badly with that line. In the scene later where Santos turns down the VP offer, do you think the reason Josh was being so weird and snapped, "Don't," when she approached him, was because he'd been so stung what she said in this scene? That's the only interpretation I can think of.

    I agree that it was good she got some independence from Josh, but that doesn't excuse her treating him like dirt the way she did for most of season 6 (and some of season 7).

    Sorry for the rant...just expanding on my thoughts from Twitter without being limited to 140 characters! You are a great writer though!

    And by the way, yes, I think she did mean Josh when she said she'd had a good teacher. At least I hope she wasn't so blind as to not be aware of all Josh had done for her over the years.

    -LaurainWA

    ReplyDelete